Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mini Color Guard Flags: Great for Doll Play!

 My two oldest daughters and I attended an indoor color guard competition this past Saturday with my mom and sister at a local high school.  The three girls enjoyed the shows, and my sister is interested in doing color guard when she is old enough.  It was a very good competition and it brought back a lot of fond memories as I did color guard, marching band, and drum line all through high school and for two years in college.  I loved indoor guard the most and enjoyed performing in some really special guard shows.
While Isabella was trying out her new No Sew Leotard, I figured it would be fun to snap some quick pictures of her with one of the mini color guard flags that I bought for my daughters at the competition.  I used a small elastic hair band, wrapped around her wrist, to help her "hold" the flag.  These mini flags are pretty simple to make too!

All you need to make one is:
- one dowel rod about 12 inches long--for the flag pole
-a rectangle piece of material about 8 inches long and 5 1/2 inches wide--for the flag
-Sewing machine, small battery operated hand stitcher, or needle and thread
-electrical tape













To Make Mini Flag:
Step 1:  Fold over the material on each of the long sides and one short end of the rectangle material about 1/4 of an inch and sew a seam on each of those three sides.
Step 2: On the remaining short side of the rectangle material, fold the material over about 1/2 of an inch.  Sew the end of the material near the edge onto the inside of the fabric making sure to leave a hole to slip the towel rod into.
Step 3:  Slip the dowel rod (flag pole) through the long hole.  Tape the top of the flag and the bottom of the flag with a small piece of electrical tape onto the dowel rod to secure the flag.

And just because I was feeling nostalgic, here is a picture of me from Indoor Guard during my junior year of  high school.  We did a winter themed show that year.  Our show's songs were "Sleigh Ride" and "Let It Snow"--the Harry Conick Jr. Versions.  Lots of glitter, lipstick on our cheeks and noses (to make us look cold) and curly hair in a fluffy white "snow band."  Fun Fun!  One of my favorite shows ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment